Do you hate going to the dentist? You might suffer from dental anxiety, an increasingly common condition. To determine whether or not you have dental anxiety, see if any of the following statements are true:
- You have panic attacks when you think about visiting the dentist or entering the dentist’s office.
- You have always hated going to the dentist more than the average person.
- The sound of dental drilling sends you over the edge.
- You’re scared of needles.
It’s important to remember that you are not alone in this! With proper care, you can have a completely normal dental experience. It’s important to find a dentist who will make you feel safe, respected, and not embarrassed so you can manage your anxiety and have a pleasant experience. And of course, so you don’t put your health on the backburner.
One of the common ways people with dental anxiety cope with going to the dentist is with dental sedation. There are different types of dental sedation, and your dentist can work with you to find the one that best fits your needs. Here are the three most common types of dental sedation:
- Nitrous Oxide: Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is a safe way to take the edge off your visit and allow you to relax while staying awake. You just inhale the sweet-smelling gas to feel its effects and then breathe normally without it to have the effects wear off.
- Oral Conscious Sedation: Oral conscious sedation is administered in pill form. You’ll get a prescribed pill to take before your appointment so when the time comes for you to be seen you’ll feel relaxed.
- IV Sedation: IV sedation, in which the patient goes all the way “under,” is often used for more intense procedures or with debilitating anxiety since it’s one of the strongest sedative agents.
If you suffer from dental anxiety and think you could benefit from dental sedation, give one of our offices a call today to discuss it with our friendly staff. We’ll give you the support and attention you deserve!